On October 24, 1857, it was renamed into Petrovsk, and its current name appeared only on May 14, 1921 to commemorate a local man who fought hard to bring the Soviets to power there, Makhach Dakhadayev.
Later, upon the decision of the Revolutionary Committee of Dagestan, Makhachkala became the capital of the Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic of Dagestan.
Makhachkala proper is 49,800 hectares but together with its suburbs it stretches along the western coast of the Caspian Sea for more than 70 km. It is home to more than 60 nationalities and ethnic groups of Dagestan, Russia and former Soviet republics. For the purposes of administration, the city is divided into three city districts, from west to east: Kirovsky
Makhachkala is a major tourist and health center thanks to a mild climate and a favourable geomagnetic environment, with many spa centers outside the city.